Skip to main content

5 ways to use tech as a [3rd-grade] teacher

This will be my first year teaching a third grade class at an international school in Hong Kong. Twenty beautiful third-graders whom I've never met but am already preparing my classroom for! As I continue on my journey as a teacher leader and elementary educator, I have given myself a challenge for this school year. It is my 5 ways to use tech challenge and I will have to update you again in December to let you know how I've progressed! I figure by December I'll have used each of these tools and hopefully by the end of the school year, I'll have 5 more to add on that I regularly integrate into my classroom or for my professional growth.



1. Twitter. An excellent example of a Personal Learning Community or PLC. I haven't used Twitter since 2011 when my high school journalism class was wanting to gain some mileage for launching its first online newspaper page, but in May, I created my first professional Twitter account with credits to my technology for administrators course.  It's a great way to build my own 27/7  professional global personal learning community. My goal is to join an educational chat room or read at least one blog I read from what I find on my Twitter page. I know I can continually learn new methods, be encouraged and inspired through other professionals who are passionate about learning and growing, by spending some intentional time on my Tweet Deck. 







2. The QBall -  This is a cool piece of technology while scrolling through a Twitter Chat on technology in education. The Qball is more of a hook to achieve great engagement but I feel that it's a start to have my students exposed to technology and how to handle and use technology equipment.  I have already contacted my new school mentor about how to go about getting reimbursement for this technology before arriving so that I can order this while I'm in the states!






3. Google count down timers - I was inspired through this blog to incorporate Google timers more intentionally throughout the school year. Sometimes it's easier to just have a handheld timer but I know students enjoy the visual on the board and it will also keep me accountable in keeping time and integrating tech even in the small ways.  



4. Blog - This blog is a great way for me to continually develop my PLC as well as reflect on what I'm learning as an educator, teacher leader, and new technology I find. Blogging at least once a quarter is a doable goal that will keep me accountable and challenged to continue growing. 




5. Digital Parent Communication - I have used printed Newsletters, blogs, and classroom Instagram accounts in the past to connect with parents and students. However, this year, I would like to ensure that parent communication is also interactive. I remember my colleague used a Class DOJO account to keep posted with her 1st-graders' parents and my school enforced us to use Schoology, a learning management tool to communicate with parents. Whatever the case, utilizing technology to communicate with parents will be a priority for me. Updates could be given once a month with a brief Podcast or short video clip, as well! 



This post inspired by David Geurin's 7 ways technology can transform learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Chromebook as 1:1 Device in the Classroom

After reading Nicole Krueger's  5 questions to ask before choosing a 1:1 device  I began reflecting on how I've implemented the 1:1 Chromebook in my classroom full-time in the last two years.  In August of the 2017-2018 school year, my director at the time made the investment to have 1:1 Chromebooks in the upper elementary all the way through high school. The lower elementary classes had iPADs in the classroom and a large portion of the school funds were also allocated for a new Technology & Design lab. With this new initiative to use Chromebooks, money was now also being allocated for Schoology.com, a learning management system, in order to encourage teachers to use technology for classes, assignments, wiki collaborations (Google.docs), and communication. It wasn't just a tool we were "adding-on" to enhance our school curriculum, it was becoming a cultural shift in the way we saw our learners and how we had to carry ourselves as educators. Krueger quotes Ru...