This week I've been in Pittsburgh and Atlanta visiting various friends and family who live t[here]. While meeting with them, I became so aware of how techy their lives were and how well-integrated technology was in their lives. It was almost a dependency that they had to it. Technology really redefined the way they lived their lives or at least modified and augmentation the way they lived. They had an application that would allow them to adjust the temperature of their house and unlock their door from their phone so that their house would be cool by the time they reached their home. My friend had an air fryer that allowed them to make food in less than half the time. Booking movie tickets, purchasing things online, and checking into airports are just a handful of other ways technology has shaped the way we live our lives!
It was eye-opening because I've been so accustomed to seeing technology in many facets of my own life, I didn't realize how I slowly I've grown to depend on it as well!
Reading using a Kindle - It's lighter, I have access to thousands of books through my library, and can have my school textbooks in a matter of minutes rather than waiting for books to come into the mail. I can look up words on the spot, highlight, search for keywords when studying. It has motivated me to read more as it is lighter to carry when traveling and I don't have to worry about crinkling the pages or choosing which book I'll be in the mood for whenever I'm traveling.
Travel, Wi-Fi and DATA - With Google Maps, online access, subway apps-- Traveling has been more efficient and less daunting. Time and energy are now put towards enjoying the people you're traveling with and you have more opportunities to be flexible with the scheduling, maximizing your time, and exploring new places because there's a safety in knowing where you are and how to get to where you want to be. Of course, if you're more interested in being spontaneous and adventurous, there is simply the option of not using it. But personally, I appreciate that I'm not fighting about directions or wondering where a decent place to eat is.
If I can see that in 2019, technology is an essential part of my life, it's definitely something that our students will be even more accustomed to using in their future workplace, education, and more.
Using technology in the classroom isn't just a "fad" or a way to make different schools marketable or reputable, but it's necessary to equip our future leaders to be competent, flexible, globally minded.
How has technology shaped your life? How have you seen technology used in the classroom that is effective, meaningful, and experiential?
"Technology can connect students with people, ideas, and information all over the world in mind-boggling ways. It can deepen their understanding of important concepts and give them authentic opportunities to practice skills that we can’t possibly replicate otherwise within our four walls (Watson, 2012)."
Watson, A. (2012, February 6). Technology fail: Embracing technology when it doesn't work. Retrieved from http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/2012/02/technology-fail-embracing-tech-when-it-doesnt-work.html
It was eye-opening because I've been so accustomed to seeing technology in many facets of my own life, I didn't realize how I slowly I've grown to depend on it as well!
Reading using a Kindle - It's lighter, I have access to thousands of books through my library, and can have my school textbooks in a matter of minutes rather than waiting for books to come into the mail. I can look up words on the spot, highlight, search for keywords when studying. It has motivated me to read more as it is lighter to carry when traveling and I don't have to worry about crinkling the pages or choosing which book I'll be in the mood for whenever I'm traveling.
Travel, Wi-Fi and DATA - With Google Maps, online access, subway apps-- Traveling has been more efficient and less daunting. Time and energy are now put towards enjoying the people you're traveling with and you have more opportunities to be flexible with the scheduling, maximizing your time, and exploring new places because there's a safety in knowing where you are and how to get to where you want to be. Of course, if you're more interested in being spontaneous and adventurous, there is simply the option of not using it. But personally, I appreciate that I'm not fighting about directions or wondering where a decent place to eat is.
If I can see that in 2019, technology is an essential part of my life, it's definitely something that our students will be even more accustomed to using in their future workplace, education, and more.
Using technology in the classroom isn't just a "fad" or a way to make different schools marketable or reputable, but it's necessary to equip our future leaders to be competent, flexible, globally minded.
How has technology shaped your life? How have you seen technology used in the classroom that is effective, meaningful, and experiential?
"Technology can connect students with people, ideas, and information all over the world in mind-boggling ways. It can deepen their understanding of important concepts and give them authentic opportunities to practice skills that we can’t possibly replicate otherwise within our four walls (Watson, 2012)."
Watson, A. (2012, February 6). Technology fail: Embracing technology when it doesn't work. Retrieved from http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/2012/02/technology-fail-embracing-tech-when-it-doesnt-work.html
Comments
Post a Comment